Oxygen Safety in the Home

Using oxygen in the home setting is safe as long as you follow some guidelines to help ensure the proper environment and conditions.

Some general home safety precautions include:

  • Never smoke while using oxygen and warn visitors who smoke not to do so.
  • No smoking signs should be in visible locations to alert guests that oxygen is being used/stored in the home.
  • Stay at least 10 feet away from open flames including cigarettes, gas stoves, candles, fireplaces that are lit, and other heat sources.  Electric razors should be avoided as well.
  • Do not use flammable products while using oxygen such as grease, aerosols, or petroleum based products while using oxygen.  This includes petroleum based creams or lotions.
  • Oxygen should be stored away from flammable items or heat sources, and should be secured to prevent falling.
  • Keep a fire extinguisher close by.
  • When using a concentrator:
    • Avoid extension cords
    • Store in an area with proper circulation
    • Store 12-18 inches from drapes and walls

Your Hospice Nurse will talk with you about home safety and oxygen safety.



%d bloggers like this: